Monday, July 4, 2011

They call me Amigo!

Things have been moving along quite well lately.  We worked all weekend on the house and made some major headway.  If you want to look, I put some new photos up for your enjoyment.

The internet problem has been interesting.  It has forced me to evaluate things a little differently, which is good.  I can't imagine the Apostle Paul being frustrated over the internet and so I have taken a different approach.  The internet is simply a way for me to communicate and keep in touch with the outside world.  While that is good, my job here is to be God's servant for Rodger and to be the face of Jesus to the island...a bald headed Jesus is not what you might envision, but that's the way it's going to have to happen. So, I am glad to be able to use the internet, but if not...

Being the face of Jesus has become interesting.  When I walk into the neighborhood all the kids under about 7 charge up to me screaming Amigo! Amigo!   So, I stop and they hold out their hands for me to slap 10 and then I hold out my hands and they give me 10.  We then do fist bumps, elbow bumps and thumb bumps.  Of course, I made the mistake of lifting them up in the air and they all demand to be picked up as high as I can lift them.  They all laugh and giggle and scream and the Mom's stand back and watch.  Some Mom's laugh with approval and others just look at me as though this is really weird for a grown man to do.  Now when I walk down the street, other kids run up to me and want to slap my hands.  And a lot of really little kids all wave and say Tah Tah ! 

Anyway, that's what is going on here on Ilhe.  I've got to go back to the house and see how the work is going this morning so I'll mentally slap 10 with you and say Tah Tah!

Mike

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear you encourage the little children - and I like the way you describe the missionaries role.

    Prayers for your task, Mike!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to read your posts, Mike! :) Keep up the great work - it is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do tend to rely on the internet overly much these days, don't we? I do like your perspective on what would or would not have frustrated Paul. I'm sure he had mail delivery problems in his day as well but we see none of that in his teachings and writings. That's a good thing to ponder.

    The kids sound great, so fun and open to new people and experiences. It sounds as if you are doing a wonderful job representing Jesus to them and their watchful moms.

    I'm keeping you in my prayers. Keep on having fun, working hard and showing Jesus to the Ilhe!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete