Thursday, July 14, 2011

Jan and Dean and the proper mixture of Cement

In the early 60's, I lived in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  I would go to my buddies, whose name was Homer, and listen to Jan and Dean and all the surfer music.  One of my favorite songs was Sidewalk Surfin, and I loved the background of Bust Your Buns, Bust Your Buns.  I listened to it the other night and today, I got real close to sidewalk surfin except it was Dumptruck Surfin.

We had to go across the 1 1/2 mile bridge to get cement blocks and I rode, no I stood, in the back of a dumptruck type vehicle with about 30 to 35 other people. We went over speedbumps and when we slowed down everyone moved forward and then over the bump and everyone went backward...just like on a surfboard!  It is interesting to see vehicles that are used for taxis and buses packed beyond what you would think is their capacity.  And I have to admit, it was a little fun.

We bought cement blocks the other day for construction here on the Island.  What a disaster! The block maker did not use enough cement and water to make a good mixture.  The blocks looked like a cement block...until we tried to transport them.  They literally fell apart.  We did stored them at the house but we can't use them.  Any pressure at all on the blocks and they crumble.  When you pick up the parts, you can crush this cement block bits with your hand and you can see there is little if any cement content.   They are unusable and we are working to get our money back.  But we did find good cement blocks on the mainland, hence, Sidewalk Surfin.

These cement blocks remind me of Christians in many ways.  There are a lot of people who call themselves Christian but when the pressure of life comes on, they fall apart.  They look like Christians and it's hard to tell them apart from the real thing.  But without Jesus Christ as the binding agent in their life...they crumble, just like a cement block made without cement.

Enjoy the new pictures, I am in one of them to make my wife happy.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Your cement block analogy is very profound. We need Jesus to be the cement in the blocks of our lives so we can stand firm. Without Him we do not have the strength to withstand the enemy.

    I used to love listening to the Beach Boys. It's still my favorite road trip music. And riding in the back of a truck... Wow, the memories that brings back...

    ReplyDelete