Thursday, November 7, 2013

Aprons and Invites

Most of you know that my "job" during this trip was to make curtains for the Schmidt's home.  I enjoyed the work and the time spent with Lynne as we worked together...talking and listening to music from every genre and artist imaginable.  It was a relief to have the curtains hung...seeing them fall evenly and fit the windows.  Whew!  

Notice the café/half curtains in the kitchen....this is an example of why curtains are needed.  The picture does not show the dozen or so neighborhood kids with their noses pressed to the window looking in!  Hopefully the novelty will wear off.  But in the meantime, other windows are covered so that there will be a certain amount of privacy!  Pictures are showing you the living room and part of the kitchen.  We were also able to complete bedroom curtains and sheers, bathroom curtains and also ones for both of their son's bedrooms!  
But my sewing skills drew other attention!  When Mike had lived on the island for 2 months in the summer of 2011, a local lady, Fatima, had cooked lunches for Mike and his team of workers.  Fatima's husband, Hafiz, is one of the island's Muslim clerics...a very influential position.  Hafiz has played a large role in Rodger and Lynne moving to the island.  While of different beliefs, Hafiz cares so much for the young people on the island that he desires the economic possibilities that the Schmidt's will bring. Mike had shared about this couple so along with gifts for some of his special workers/friends...I had wanted to being gifts for Hafiz and Fatima too.   On Thursday afternoon, I finally had a chance to give Fatima her apron.  I had even embroidered it with her name.  Within two hours, she is back at the house with Hafiz.  He came not to thank us for his gift (an In 'N Out Burger t-shirt which he did love) but to talk to me about the apron.  It seems that their 2nd oldest daughter wants to go into design/sewing as a profession.  He was there to ask me to please come back to the island to not only teach his daughter but also other young ladies how to sew.  There is beautiful fabric available there that could be used for many things and that could create business and income for these young ladies as they learn to make different items from the capalana fabric.  
My mind is already churning with what this teaching would look like, what items could be made, what things we would need for them to be successful and have the tools they need.  The "Martha" in me got very excited.  I know we are looking at at least a year or more before this can happen.  Please pray for us to be open to the correct timing for such thing to happen.  Pray for others that would want to join me there.  It would probably need to be a longer term stay to be effective and get all of the things taught to the young girls.  Pray for what this could mean in their lives and for the relationships that we can develop.  I don't want to jump ahead of when this should be done but be open to the proper timing.  But I am so excited to see a way I can use my skills and talents to further the work the Schmidt's will be doing on the island.  

No comments:

Post a Comment