Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It's good just to get this far!

Well, here I am at the Girassol Hotel in Nampula, Mozambique.

God was protecting me all the way here...well, watching out for me would be a better phrase.
I got to ride in First Class going to JFK which was a treat, since I knew what I was facing next!
I had 2 seats to myself in coach on South African Airways which was cool because it is a 15 hour non-stop flight.  By the time we landed in Johannesburg my rear end was numb! But I sat across the aisle from a young missionary couple who were going back to Madagascar and that was nice. I picked up my bag and checked in for my 2 hour flight to Nampula and my bags and I all made it safe and sound...kinda.

You see, I was told I could get my visa at the airport on arrival in Mozambique for $25.  Well, you can do that easily enough in Maputo, the Capitol city...Nampula is like flying into Fresno but not quite so nice.  The nice man took me and my visa-less passport up to the immigration office to call his boss.  While we waited for an answer he suggested I would have to go to the Embassy or maybe even back to the USA!  What a scammer!  His boss finally called back and said for $85 I could get a visa.  Now $85 is a far cry from $25 but what are you supposed to say?  No thanks?

Anyway, once it was established that I was fleecable, the lady turned on her computer with the camera and fingerprint scanner and viola!  I had  a super duper visa all ready to go.  I did get a receipt for the money but, who knows.  Maybe they all will have a nice dinner.

Speaking of nice dinner, I am going to go eat and then go to bed...I am very, very tired.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers,

Baboo

1 comment:

  1. Just to put it in perspective....it would have been even more $$ to get the visa ahead of time in the US! just saying....
    Love you, Baboo. Hope you got a good nights sleep. I know Rodger and the team will be there soon and then the adventure will really kick off! Write as much as you can and take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete